Friday, April 24, 2015

Human rights for everyone NOW!


The last days I have been eating far too much.
The battle for the Swedish butterfly has indeed been a struggle... Not much dancing but a lot of good music. Check Dimitri Keiski out on Spotify!

I've been attending a conference. Breakfast, tea-time, snacks, dinner every second hour.
It's not the only reason. I have been comforting my feelings with food.
This emotional overeating comes from the stories I have heard in two days.
I sat next to a man that was born in a tent in Karesuando, in the very north of Sweden, 60 years ago. His mother was refused to give birth at a hospital. His two twin sisters died early by freezing to death.

This year a mother gave birth to a child in a car outside the large, modern hospital of Luleå in the middle of the winter.
The staff didn't let her in when she came to the wrong entrance at night. She's a Romani. It's 2015.
I feel ashamed we haven't gotten further. Maybe it's not possible for some people to live without prejudice.

The family of Mikael came from Russia in the late 1800. They belong to the Romani people Kelderash.
They have had a long struggle with Swedish authorities during decades.
The same arguments against the Romani people 50 years ago are still heard in Sweden. Today about people coming to Sweden from Romania.

 Mikael and his wife Angelina has a school in Stockholm for Romani children:
http://romakulturklass.com/index2.htm You can read about it in English.
Mikael himself started school at 11 and told me how difficult it was. He had to bribe his school mates with cigarettes and candies to stop them from treating him bad.

As a Chils read all the books of Katarina Taikon about Katitzi, a Romani girl, and when Mikael talks to his 10-year-old granddaughter and is calling me gadji, I know the meaning: a non-Romani.
"Katitzi" gave me an understanding at early age. I wish all the kids today could read about her:
"Katitzi in school".


I feel so much sorrow for all the discrimination the Romanis are facing all over the world today.
Human rights for everyone NOW!





No comments:

Post a Comment