Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Dead man riding the bus


I had a great gift from a friend at the bus stop.
Ulrica, my neighbour gave me a time table for the bus. As I am not using a cell phone I can't check the schedule with an app...

Ulrica and I take the same bus in the mornings and we have nice conversations from Svartöstaden to the city for 15 minutes.
We laugh a lot, talk about life, good things and bad things.
Sometimes other friends are on the bus, then we are really loud,  and when I change to number 10 I meet some of my colleagues.

In a individual oriented society like Sweden. It's not common to talk to strangers on the bus. Or else where.  The only place where spontaneous conversations occur  are in the bar, when people are drunk. Everyone searching for a seat with no company and most people sit quiet in the bus.

 It's good and bad. A nice time for reflection and meditation. As I don't have a cell phone it can't be my company during the ride. I look up, look around. I notice the change from spring to summer.


But interacting with other people put me in a good mood.
 When one of my favorite drivers are in charge for the trip I talk to them. 
Ola and I have serious conversations about life, with the man from Congo I practice my french, integration is often the topic with the driver from Iran.

I have travelled with buses in many countries, Cuba, Jamaica, Turkey, Mexico, Morocco...
It's like taking part of a carnival. The Swedish bus rides are like a funeral.
The daddy of my youngest son, born in Havana, whispered one day to me during a bus trip:
Look! The people look like they are dead!

Once I was observing a Spanish  speaking family of six people at the bus. The were really loud and happy. A young Swedish guy gave them the evil eye through out the whole journey.
I am sure some swedes want to throw me out of the bus for disturbing their trip.
Yesterday Doris got on on the bus and and the end she thanked me for greeting her...
I know some of you across the world will not believe your eyes when reading this.

Apart from the socialization bus riding has given me an opportunity to exercise more.
One year ago I took the car where ever I was going.
Soon I will start to use my bike. It's good for the environment and perfect for my weight battle.



No comments:

Post a Comment